Despite my skepticism, all of our efforts to lower our electric bill worked. We saved a whopping $65.00 compared to last month. Here are some of the things we did…
- Got ourselves used to a thermostat set btw 78-80 degrees.
- Set the thermostat at 82 if we were going to be away from home for more than a couple of hours.
- Stopped using lights during the day unless absolutely necessary.
- Closed all blinds when the sun was beating on that side of the house.
- Replaced a few bulbs with energy saving bulbs.
- Used less lights at night.
- Turned off the TV when it was not in use.
- Made sure the doors to the outside were closed even for short trips to the car.
We still have a ways to go. We are getting our home windows tinted. So, starting with Jaxon’s new bedroom, our house will be even more energy efficient by having our windows tinted room by room. The tint we chose reduces 77% of solar energy. That’s HUGE! Hopefully, by this time next year, our windows will be done and our energy use will have gone down significantly.
For me, it’s not so much about going green. It’s more about saving green. But, the fact that these efforts will be good for our environment as well as our pocketbooks…. well, that’s a bonus for the next generation and we’re teaching our kids to reduce, reuse, and recycle. Win/Win!
Effect of residential window tint in summer.